Thursday, July 12, 2012

Celebrate the little victories

I dropped a friend at the airport this arvo... then I made a mad dash to the bank to put a couple of cheques that have been burning a hole in my wallet into my account.

I looked at my watch, 10 to 4.  Sweet!  Just made it. 

Walked in the door and 'ding' - my hourly alarm for my check in exercise went off.  I looked at my watch, 3.50pm.  Then I looked at my phone and it actually just after 4pm.

I'd made it into a bank after 4pm!?!  And the guy who served me was a total dude. That shit doesn't happen to me.  I'm usually the person who gets to the bank to find them locking the door.  Not this time!

As I walked back to the car I thought how effing awesome it was to have luck on my side today!  I took a moment to celebrate the small victory.  Something totally went my way.

Then I thought about all the good little things that happen in a day...
even on a bad day there is magic and beauty and things going your way... if you are willing to look for them.

And some days it's that little thing that turns your day from utter shite to pure delight.

A text from a friend, a sea eagle perched unfazed 10 metres away while I'm on my daily run, a random dog coming to say hello or my own dog placing his head on my lap, my thoughtful husband coming home armed with chocolate... magic is happening all around me.

I am lucky! I might not have won major in the lotto, or a Boystown house... yet... but I have these little victories every single day.

So, I'm going to focus on what's going right in my life, not what's going wrong.

I'm taking the time to celebrate the little victories... after all, in the words of Meredith Grey (yes, quoting Greys Anatomy... I'm not even going to back that up with a justification):

“Maybe gratitude has nothing to do with joy. Maybe being grateful means recognizing what you have for what it is. Appreciating small victories... At the end of the day, the fact that we have the courage to still be standing is reason enough to celebrate.”

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin