Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Karls and the giant basilstalk...

One of my rad friends, Graphical, had a slight obsession with a basil plant I kept while living in Vic.  Every time she'd come round she'd point out how fabulous, healthy and huge it was.  We'd done nothing special with it - in fact, the dirt we planted it in was mostly ash from out fireplace.  I was supposed to pass it on to her when I moved... oops my bad - I think we just chucked it in the garden to die.

Anyways... we use herbs (especially basil) quite a bit and have a little balcony planting space - where we've attempted to grow regular basil, thai basil, coriander, mint, lemongrass and oregano.  Nothing was really happening - a little disappointing considering my previous 'basil success'.

Then, Micko (who recently started a new job working in hardware) came home with some sample packs of this fertiliser. 

I mixed up a batch and poured it over the basil... 

Two days passed, we headed off to Sydney for the night...

and from virtually empty stalks....

Magic happened!

Now, I was pretty blown away by this - to show the size, I've used a large can of Aeroguard.

A few weeks later, and this is the progress (I've not used the fertiliser since)...

Same Aeroguard can!  And... I've pulled almost every leaf off twice - made a batch of pesto and some other heavy on the basil dishes.

It's just incredible!


Perhaps I missed my calling as a bit of a green thumb.

1 comment:

Christine Vi said...

I wish I had a little garden. It makes it so convenient when you need herbs! Especially since you don't use a huge batch at time very frequently (and it's cheaper) to purchase it. Your basil is doing great!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin