Friday, October 22, 2010

Having a whale of a time!

I've just returned from my daily walk with Billy down the beach.  It's a glorious day here today... mid 20s, sun is shining, skies are blue and the ocean is gleaming turquoise.  Stunning!

I was thinking to myself (and I tend to do a shitload of thinking on the beach), I'm down here almost every day, either running or walking with Bill, and during the past 18 months I've not seen a single whale.  Word is, the last couple of seasons, they have been staying quite a distance away from the shore... hence, not too many sightings in this neck of the woods.

Anyways... as I turned around to walk back something caught the corner of my eye.  It was only a couple of hundred metres out from shore and it is quite windy here today, so my initial thought was 'oh it's a windsurfer'.  But then... I saw a big splash... and an even bigger Y shape flying up towards the horizon.  That's no windsurfer... it's a whale!

This whale was having an absolute whale of a time (pun intended).  It frolicked around while I made my way back.  Tail flicking up into the air... then it's huuuuuge body jumping out of the water and crashing down into the turquoise waters below.  Truly incredible!

I felt blessed... and so lucky to be living in this breathtaking corner of our wonderful planet.  Sure, there are times when the isolation is suffocating...  I whinge about this town catering for the unemployed and the elderly only... or when the lack of decent amenties and shopping does my absolute head in...

And then... I have an experience like I did just now, and I wouldn't dare live any other place on earth.  I feel connected to Mother Nature here and I'm ever so grateful!

1 comment:

Jandy xx said...

how awesome Karls... mum went on a whale tour on the GC how cool is it that all you have to do is drive down to the beach!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin